Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Babes, babies and chow mien

Sometimes I feel that being human is just downright unfair.

Don't blame me for being a little depressive (most probably because of the rain out there) but I had a few interesting discoveries or revelations or... things... that really irked the living hypocrite out of me!

First off, there's this issue about a governor or senator (doesn't matter... they're all gonna burn when they die), that waged a war on the content of a few periodicals, namely FHM and Maxim, because of the pronographic material it published! Come on, it's a guys gloss, let us have some peace already about it! I don't wanna be caught in the socio-politico crossfires here (seeing as the Philippines is predominantly Catholic-thus the issue), but it's been a long time coming since the first publication of this beautiful magazine and now the issue of pronographic content? Where's the justice? Where's the manliness in that? I'm sure that after his own fair share of subscription and maybe due to being caught beating the sausage over the lovely pictorials does the 'sudden' desire to lash out at this innocent read. Something don't feel right here.
More on that later...

The funny thing is coincidentally, another issue was brought up regarding pro-choice supporters versus the rest of the country. There's a long-standing history of involvment here concerning the Catholic order and the state. It's also a known fact that as much as the P.I. has declared itself a Catholic state (or predominantly Catholic), it also follows very much a secular constitution which has been implemented since the fall of the Japanese and the American colonization. Now, how does a country that is embroiled in social and political turmoil, burdened by over-population and corruption, work this dilemma out? I'm only highlighting the two points for pro-choice on the basis that that's what matters at the moment. Yeah sure they can move out or even educate people on family planning etc., but there's a term used by economists that describes the advent of a collapsable cumulative effect (I don't know the term, if you're wondering), that implies the multiplication of population over the years versus the time it takes for the people to not only be educated, but also begin to practice family planning and the (supposed) positive outcome on the country as a whole. Now, defining that took some time on my part, how long do you think it'll take until a 'decent' plan can be applied effectively and permanently? I'm no expert but I think in all common sense, we must be able to weigh the cause and effect of our actions, be it intentional or accidental.

So back to why I detest being a human being. Back to the damsels in distress. Back to the wall that lets wave upon wave of problems wash up my entire self to the point of eroding nothingness... I think there's more than meets the eye to the issues at hand.

Other than that, life's been peachy but the rain got bad (some typhoon up north). It's a little cool and I've got a jacket wrapped around my bag. Time to bring out the ol' umbrella.

No comments: